Saturday, June 27, 2009

Curing Virus-ridden Windows with ClamTk and Avast! Antivirus

My friend's Windows XP computer is infested with malware which displays a warning about virus infection at every boot and pops up a virus-scanning window. It's a typical fake anti-virus that directs the PC owner to a scam website soliciting payment for no-good software. I brought his computer home to fix it. I couldn't launch AVG Free because the malware won't let me.


So I restarted the PC with my own Linux Boot CD which contains ClamAV and ClamTk. I thought ClamAV would detect the malware. So I type the following command to update ClamAV virus database.


freshclam

Then, I launched ClamTk and scanned the Windows partition mounted on /mnt.


clamtk

But ClamAV din't detect any virus. I'll try Avast! Linux home edition soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog seeks to provide a collection of interesting pictures found on the Web. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger