Wednesday, September 16, 2009

GRUB and NTFS boot sector

After messing with the hard disk partitions, Windows XP installations in logical partitions failed to bootstrap directly. However, I finally managed to boot Windows XP on a logical partition by chainloading from another XP on a primary partition. This required me to edit the file BOOT.INI on the primary XP partition.


I suppose the boot sector of the logical partition is broken. I booted Linux and extracted the boot sector from the primary partition containing Windows XP.


dd if=/dev/sda2 of=xpboot.bin bs=512 count=1

I experimented with this boot sector and GRUB. At boot time, I typed the following GRUB command.


chainloader (hd0,5)/xpboot.bin
boot

This allowed me to boot Windows XP. However, the XP boot sector apparently reads BOOT.INI from the primary partition. I will analyze the boot sector file with an Hexadecimal editor. By studying the NTFS boot sector, I will be able to solve Windows XP boot problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog seeks to provide a collection of interesting pictures found on the Web. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger