Sunday, May 31, 2009

Manually Starting a VNC Server

Manually starting a VNC server is necessary for testing VNC. Once you got VNC to work correctly, you can copy the command line to a script or inetd.conf. First, I created an executable script ~/.vnc/xstartup with the following contents:


#!/bin/sh

exec /etc/X11/Xsession

This file has to be made executable, of course. Prior to starting vnc4server, make sure your X session can start normally by checking your ~/.xsession file. My .xsession file looks like this:


#!/bin/sh

exec openbox

Then, I started vnc4server:


vnc4server -geometry 800x600 -depth 16 -name VNC4

The first time you run vnc4server, it will ask you for the password. Create a password that only you can guess and memorize it. Next, I installed TightVNC U3 package on my Sandisk U3 flash. I went over to another PC running Windows and plugged in my USB flash. The U3 menu popped up and I clicked on the TightVNC icon. Then, I specified the address of my Linux box running vnc4server:


192.168.1.234:1 or

192.168.1.234::5901

After I was done with vnc session, I killed the vnc4server with the following command:


vnc4server -kill :1

When vnc sessions don't seem working, check the log file: ~/.vnc/*.log



Related Posts


No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog seeks to provide a collection of interesting pictures found on the Web. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger