Thursday, August 27, 2009

Notes on Toshiba Mini NB205

I recently bought a netbook made by Toshiba. Its model is NB205 black. So far I love this stylish notebook. It is light so it doesn't weigh heavily on my shoulder when I carry it in my backpack to school. It has a very long battery life (almost 8 hours) and it's surprisingly powerful enough. I'll keep notes about Toshiba Mini NB205 on this post. I will update it with useful information about Toshiba NB205.


Toshiba Mini Netbook NB205

Notes on Toshia NB205 Hardware



IDE/SATA Driver for Windows XP and Vista


I tried to install Windows XP and Vista on my Toshiba netbook. XP/Vista installer crashed many times unless I loaded Intel AHCI driver in the beginning of the installation. The netbook's 160GB hard drive is connected to Intel 82801GBM Serial ATA controller inside the netbook. I downloaded the text-mode driver (f6flpy3289.zip) from Intel support site. I unpacked driver package onto a USB floppy. The needed files are as follows:

iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys
license.txt
readme.txt
txtsetup.oem

Then, I connected the USB floppy to my netbook before booting with XP/Vista installation CD/DVD in my USB DVD-ROM. I pressed F6 right after the XP installation started. A few minutes later, I was asked to choose the right driver from a list of drivers. Only one choice works; that's Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller.


After Windows XP is successfully installed, install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IATA89CD.exe.)



Other Drivers


The Toshiba support site offers many drivers and software for Toshiba Mini NB205. Download the following drivers when reinstalling Windows XP.




Applets for Toshiba NB205


TouchPad Driver


I downloaded Alps TouchPad Driver 7.4.2002 for Vista from SoftPedia. I extracted Vi32 folder from the package using 7zip and installed the driver by running DPinst.exe.



Chicony Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba


I downloaded the camera software from Toshiba. This software also works on Windows Vista and Windows 7.



HDD Protection Software for Windows XP/Vista/7


Toshiba Mini NB205 has a vibration sensor for safe-guarding the hard drive. HDD protection software uses a reading from the vibration sensor and temporarily put the drive in halt when significant vibration is detected. If you reinstall XP on Toshiba NB205, download the HDD protection software from Toshiba and install it. The software also installs the driver for HDD vibration sensor.



Toshiba NB205 Has SLIC 2.1 for Windows 7


Using SLIC Dump ToolKit V2.3, I learned that Toshiba Mini NB205 contains SLIC 2.1 in its BIOS ACPI table. That means an OEM version of Windows 7 can be installed on NB205 and activated with the right OEM certificate and key.


SLIC Dump Toolkit V2.0

Related Links


No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog seeks to provide a collection of interesting pictures found on the Web. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger