Saturday, August 22, 2009

Using Hex Editor to Make aMule work on Windows 9x/ME

I successfully compiled aMule for Windows. My own aMule binary worked fine on Windows XP and Windows Vista. But it failed on Windows ME with an error pop-up:


The AMULE.EXE file is linked to missing export
KERNEL32.DLL:SetFilePointerEx.

I searched Yahoo! for a solution to this problem using these keywords: missing export kernel32.dll setfilepointerex. I was led to this webpage. It is said that SetFilePointerEx can be replaced with SetFilePointer on Windows 98/ME. Rather than fixing it from the source level, I resorted to a hex editor to quickly fix the problem.


I downloaded XVI and opened amule.exe. I searched for the text string "SetFilePointerEx" and overwrote the ending "Ex" with hex strings "00 00".


aMule started alright. I hope it functions without a problem.


Related Links


No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog seeks to provide a collection of interesting pictures found on the Web. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger