Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Linux: Tweaking Moblin 2.0 on Toshiba NB205

I installed Moblin 2.0 on my Toshiba NB205 netbook. Since Moblin is a Linux distro targeted for netbooks and still in early development, it doesn't yet have many applications I hoped for. Thus, I need to customize Moblin and compile or install application packages on Moblin. This post chronicles my on-going customization of Moblin.




  1. Setting Up Internet Connection


    Moblin has a simple interface to set up a network connection. Just click the top right corner of the screen and a network manager will appear. I noticed Moblin has a problem keeping a reliable wireless connection. The network manager is too simple to set up a complex wireless connection. For example, you cannot assign WEB keys other than the first one.



    Moblin Network Manager

  2. Adding PATH line to /root/.bashrc


    One of the first things I did was to launch a Terminal and explore the Moblin inside. I became root using the su command but couldn't run many commands because those commands were not found in the PATH. So I had to insert a PATH line into /root/.bashrc:


    # .bashrc

    PATH='/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin'



  3. Installing Software Packages on Moblin


    The default Moblin installation has just enough applications to browse the Internet, read e-mail, enjoy your movies and pictures, twitter and IM with your friends, and manage your schedule. Well, I guess that's probably enough for everyone's daily netbook use. But I noticed that Moblin was missing a word processor and spreadsheet. My favorite is OpenOffice.org, but I couldn't find it in Moblin's package repository. So I installed AbiWord and Gnumeric instead. First, I started the Application Manager.


    Moblin Settings

    I opened the System menu and selected “Refresh package lists&rdquo just to be sure. Then, I chose &ldquoAll packages&rdquo from the left pane and selected from the package list on the right: Abiword, AdobeReader_enu, and Gnumeric. Then, I clicked the Apply button.


    Moblin_Add_Software

    Moblin check the dependencies and shows you a confirmation dialog. When I clicked the Install button, Moblin downloaded and installed the applications.


    Moblin_Downloading_Software

    Now the Office section of Applications area has new icons for Abiword, Gnumeric and Adobe Reader.


    Moblin Office

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog seeks to provide a collection of interesting pictures found on the Web. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger